Thursday, February 11, 2010

R.I.P. Alexander McQueen



"ON BEHALF OF LEE MCQUEEN'S FAMILY, ALEXANDER MCQUEEN TODAY ANNOUNCES THE TRAGIC NEWS THAT LEE MCQUEEN, THE FOUNDER AND DESIGNER OF THE ALEXANDER MCQUEEN BRAND HAS BEEN FOUND DEAD AT HIS HOME. AT THIS STAGE IT IS INAPPROPRIATE TO COMMENT ON THIS TRAGIC NEWS BEYOND SAYING THAT WE ARE DEVASTATED AND ARE SHARING A SENSE OF SHOCK AND GRIEF WITH LEE'S FAMILY. LEE'S FAMILY HAS ASKED FOR PRIVACY IN ORDER TO COME TO TERMS WITH THIS TERRIBLE NEWS AND WE HOPE THE MEDIA WILL RESPECT THIS."
—Alexander McQueen Office, Official Website, 11 February 2010

I found the news out at work today... was heartbroken then I got an email from an ex... like honestly he's one of the designers I grew up admiring... his designs, concepts, runway shows were innovative, dark, avant-garde thought-provoking, and controversial... From about 11/12 til early 20's I watch Style Network like people watch CNN... Always dreamed of going to Fashion Week in New York, Paris... Milan. I unlike most around my pre-teens could pronouce Versace, Yves Saint Laurent, Prada... watched runway shows, took notes... I even got to visit one of his stores while in Vegas, I was so in awe... like a kid in a candy store... I wanted to buy... but I did take of photo... not inside the store didn't wanna seem like a lame tourist. I'm truly saddened... and distraught anyone who feels they need to judge him for committing suicide... the man's mother passed away... it can be alot to handle when she means the world to you... my prayers are with his family & friends... whom I leave thoughts from and a video of a recent interview with CNN about his Fall '09 runway show, his infamous Fall '09 Men's Runway show... and an archive of his Fall show from '98... your provocative, awe-inspiring, ground-breaking runway shows and fashion will live on! Rest in peace, Lee Alexander McQueen!


"His talent had no boundaries and he was an inspiration to everyone who worked with him and knew him," she said in a statement released by her publicist. "This is a sad day to all who loved him around the world and my condolences are with his family. I will miss him so much, he will never be forgotten." - Naomi Campbell
Designer Carolina Herrera called McQueen "one of a -kind" and said in a statement that he was "one of the most talented designers of his generation. This is a big loss for the world."
A manager at the Alexander McQueen store in New York said the shop would be closed Thursday and Friday in light of the designer's death.
Appearing on CNN Thursday before news of McQueen's death broke, singer Lady Gaga -- known for her ground-breaking fashion -- spoke of her admiration for the designer.
His brilliant imagination knew no bounds as he conjured up collection after collection of extraordinary designs.
--Alexandra Shulman, British Vogue


"He is so -- He is on his own planet. He doesn't need to respond to trends or what anyone else is doing," Lady Gaga said in an interview on 'American Morning.' "He is so pure and from within and I -- he just generally inspires me ... and I love when I can wear his clothes and sort of synthesize for my fans what it means to me, because I want them escape through his clothes the way that I do."
According to a biography of McQueen on Vogue's Web site, he was born in 1970 in London's East End, the son of a taxi driver.
He trained in London's Savile Row at a company that made suits for Prince Charles. One anecdote that helped cement his bad-boy image claimed that he had once embroidered a suit for the Prince of Wales with a profanity sewn into the lining.
His clothing line was purchased in 1991 by stylist Isabella Blow, who became a close friend. She committed suicide in 2007, five years after his label was brought into the Gucci Group, based in Paris, France.
In an interview with CNN's Jim Bittermann in October, McQueen -- whose work was also worn by Sandra Bullock and Gwyneth Paltrow -- talked about how the traditional runway shows for fashion designers are changing.
His latest show was an invitation event for 1,000 people and was streamed live on the Internet.
"It's got to progress, and it's got to move on," he said. "I've been doing these shows for over 15 years now; I must have done about 60 shows. Even I get bored with the same concept, so this way, I can see a brighter future for fashion."
The designer was honored as a commander of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire by Queen Elizabeth II in 2003 and won numerous other awards in the fashion world..



No comments: